Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Random Acts of Grocery Carts

Yesterday's post mentioned my friend Jack, who took the hand of an elderly woman in dance and transformed her evening from one of mere observation to one of dance and participation. Jack demonstrated a random act of kindness that made the evening memorable not only for the elderly woman, but for all who witnessed the event.
My random act of kindness was not nearly as powerful. At an unplanned stop at a local store, I walked my basket out to the car to unload my groceries. Dutifully, instead of leaving the basket to the fates of the winds (which were gusting at 35 miles per hour), I returned the basket to the store. Walking back to my car, another shopper had just finished unloading, and had less dutifully left her cart to the wiles of the aforementioned winds. As she pullout of her parking space, her orphaned cart made a beeline straight toward the right front side panel of a defenseless grey Chrysler 300. I quickly intercepted the cart before the collision, and retraced my steps to the front of the store to return the cart to its rightful home.
While the owner of the Chrysler is unaware of my actions, I am.
Jack, you've made me think about looking every day for those random acts of kindness that will make me, and the world, a better place to live. Here's hoping that Jack will inspire you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment